As Solutions Architect, Axel Wirth provides strategic vision and technical leadership within Symantec’s Healthcare Vertical, serving in a consultative role to healthcare providers, industry partners, and health technology professionals.
Drawing from over 25 years of international experience in the industry, Mr. Wirth is supporting Symantec’s healthcare customers to solve their critical security, privacy, compliance, and IT management challenges. He is an active participant in industry organizations and a frequent speaker at conferences, forums, and webcasts on subjects such as cybersecurity, medical device security, mobile health infrastructure, compliance automation, IT infrastructure optimization, and other healthcare-specific topics.
His extensive background in the healthcare IT and medical device industries includes engineering leadership as well as strategic business development and marketing roles with Siemens Medical, Analogic Corp., Mitra Inc., Agfa Healthcare, and currently Symantec Corp. His education includes a BS Electrical Engineering degree (EE) from Fachhochschule Düsseldorf and an MS Engineering Management degree (MSEM) from The Gordon Institute of Tufts University.
Healthcare Industry Projects:
IHE International, Patient Care Device (PCD) Domain; Medical Equipment Management (MEM), Cybersecurity Team Lead – Whitepapers published:
- Medical Device Cyber Security – Best Practice Guide (July 2015)
- Medical Device Software Patching (July 2015)
- Medical Equipment Management - Cyber Security (May 2011)
MDISS (Medical Device Innovation, Safety and Security Consortium)
Individual Contributor and Security Subject Matter Expert supporting multiple projects:
- Medical Device Cybersecurity Working Group (MDISS in cooperation with NH-ISAC, MITRE, and FDA)
- Vendor Cybersecurity Best Practices and Guidelines
- Medical Device Risk Assessment Platform (MDRAP) Prototype
IEC/ISO TC215 Health Informatics, Joint Working Group 7 – Medical Devices
Individual Contributor and Security Subject Matter Expert:
- IEC/ISO 80001 Revision Group (launched June 2015)
ANSI IDSP (Identity Theft Prevention and Identity Management Standards Panel)
- The Financial Impact of Breached Protected Health Information (March 2012)
Via Symantec Corporate Membership: CHIME, HIMSS
Individual Member: IEEE, IHE International, ACCE, MDISS, IEC/ISO TC 215 JWG 7